book thoughts: The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen

The backstory: Greer Hendricks worked as an editor for more than 20 years. For her first novel, she teams up with one of the authors whose work she edited.

My thoughts: The Wife Between Us is one of this season's buzziest books, which is always a dangerous proposition for a thriller. And this particular thriller is one that benefits from the reader knowing as little as possible going into it. I'm glad I read this one before its publication so each surprise was still a surprise.

I read a thought of mysteries and thrillers, and I can't recall the last time I actually said out loud while reading, "wait, what?!" and flipped back a few pages to make sure I hadn't misread. This novel's first big twist is so much fun. It flips this novel on the reader, and it made me realize I was reading a very different novel than I thought I was. Unfortunately, after the thrill of that twist, I realized I actually preferred the novel this begins as rather than the one it ends up being. This novel relies heavily on its characters, and I couldn't believe they were actually real people. To me, this novel felt like a fun idea, but I never fully engaged in these women's stories because they didn't feel like real people.

The verdict: Despite my love for this novel's first twist, I couldn't shake the feeling that the authors tried too hard. I wanted the end to come together more and bring more twists. It was a fun read, but it could have been a better one. I'm glad I read this one, because it is a fun read, but it's won't make my list of best thrillers of 2018.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5
Length: 342 pages
Publication date: January 9, 2018 
Source: publisher

Convinced? Treat yourself! Buy The Wife Between Us from Amazon (Kindle edition.)

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. I enjoyed the book too, but wasn't sure about the hype.

    It was very clever, and it was well done, but I was confused. :) I still gave it a 4/5 because it was different.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson