The 2017 Booker Dozen: A U.S. Reader's Guide

Although I've (finally) stopped pretending I will ever actually read all of the longlisted titles, I still eagerly await the Booker Prize longlist each July. Okay, so I do still harbor ideas about reading the longlists once Hawthorne reaches a certain age. What age? It's still unclear. Regardless, the longlists are more fun since the Prize has been opened up to U.S. authors, but I also find it has fewer unexpected picks. This longlist reads like an all-star list, and I'm excited to see who makes the short list (and wins.)

The One I've Already Read



Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders (3 stars)--I need to review this one, but I also feel like I should read it again. I listened to the audio because of the novelty of having 166 narrators. It was fun to hear so many voices, but the incessant repetition of op. cit. drove me bonkers. I may try it in print, as everyone else seems to love it.

The Ones Available in the U.S. Now

4321 by Paul Auster
Days Without End by Sebastian Barry
History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund
Exit West by Mohsin Hamid



The Ministry of Utmost Happiness by Arundhati Roy
Autumn by Ali Smith
Swing Time by Zadie Smith
The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead

The Ones Coming Soon to the U.S.

Solar Bones by Mike McCormack (September 19, 2017)
Reservoir 13 by Jon McGregor (November 1, 2017)
Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie (August 15, 2017)

The Ones We Hope Make Their Way to the U.S.

Elmet by Fiona Mozley

I won't commit myself to reading all of these this year, but I do hope to make time for those that have been lingering on my TBR for too long, and I'm definitely making time for Home Fire. First up? Autumn because I adore Ali Smith, and I can't believe I haven't made time for it already.

Now tell me? What are you most excited to see on the longlist? What are you shocked to not see?

Happy reading!

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson