The 2016 Booker Dozen: A U.S. Reader's Guide

It's here! I find myself enjoying the Booker Prize longlist even more now that it's also open to U.S. authors. And this year is a good one. Each of the titles intrigues me enough to read it, and none are over 500 pages!

The Ones I've Already Read


The Sellout by Paul Beatty (3.5 stars)--I need to review this one still!
My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout (4.5 stars)

The Ones Available in the U.S. Now






Hot Milk by Deborah Levy
His Bloody Project by Graeme Macrae Burnet (only $5.99 for Kindle!)
The North Water by Ian McGuire
Hystopia by David Means
The Many by Wyl Menmuir
Eileen by Ottessa Moshfegh
Work Like Any Other by Virginia Reeves

The Ones Coming to the U.S.



The Schooldays of Jesus by J.M. Coetzee (February 21, 2017)
Serious Sweet by A.L. Kennedy (October 18, 2016)
All That Man Is by David Szalay (October 4, 2016)

The Ones We Hope Make Their Way to the U.S.



Do Not Say We Have Nothing by Madeleine Thien

Total page count: 3886
Page count for me to complete the Booker Dozen: 3374

My Plans:
I have several long flights coming up next week (I'm off to Asia!), so I'll be loading my Kindle with all of the currently available titles. First up? Hot Milk because I so adored Swimming Home, and I've been meaning to read more Deborah Levy.

Now tell me: What book are you most excited to see on the longlist? What book are you most surprised to see left off?

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. Hi! I look forward to following your progress- my goal is to read them all (I haven't read any yet and just purchased The Sellout).

    I am in Canada - Thien and Szalay are available. Cotezee will be published here end of October...and in September in the UK (I might order it from Book Depository depending on my progress). I discovered that The Childhood of Jesus is a prequel, so will likely read that beforehand. I ordered Serious Sweet from Book Depository as well (not available in Canada).

    Happy reading!

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson