book review: Something New by Lucy Knisley

The backstory: Lucy Knisley is one of my favorite comics artists. My reviews of her earlier books: French Milk, Relish, An Age of License, and Displacement.

The basics:  "DIY maven Lucy Knisley was fascinated by American wedding culture . . . but also sort of horrified by it. So she set out to plan and execute the adorable DIY wedding to end all adorable DIY weddings. And she succeeded."--publisher

My thoughts: Lucy Knisley and I share a love of food and travel. After reading Something New, it's clear we also share complicated views about weddings and the associated traditions. I still love to talk about my wedding. I still think fondly of my wedding. And I loved revisiting so many of the conversations I had about my wedding while reading about Knisley's. At the time, it felt like I was constantly justifying and defending my decisions (no engagement ring, matching simple wedding bands, not wearing white, walking down the aisle with Mike, etc.)

But this review is about Something New, which is lovely in so many ways. Knisley chronicles her own journey in love (parts of the beginning will be familiar to readers of her earlier work) and marriage, but along the way, she takes the space to reflect, question, and engages the reader in a thoughtful conversation. It's lovely.

Favorite passage: 


The verdict: Something New is my favorite Knisley yet. Knisley beautifully tells the story of her wedding planning, but she also explores complicated ideas about weddings, gender roles, and social customs. It's a book I wish existed when I got married, but I'm so glad it lives in this world now. Even better: Knisley is expecting a child and has a book deal for one about pregnancy, motherhood and reproductive medicine. 2018 is entirely too far away.

Rating: 5 out of 5
Length: 304 pages
Publication date: May 3, 2016
Source: publisher

Convinced? Treat yourself! Buy Something New from Amazon (Kindle edition.)

Want more? Visit Lucy Knisley's websitefollow her on Twitter and Instagram.

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson