It's Back: The Backlist Book Club returns in July!

After taking six months off, The Backlist Book Club is coming back, but I'm changing things up a bit.

What's not new
The basics are the same: on the first of each month, I'll announce the book for that month. Around the middle of the month, I'll post my review of the book. On the last day of the month, I'll host a discussion of the book. I'd love company, of course, but The Backlist Book Club is commitment free: read with me only the months you choose to. Easy, right?

What is new
Themes and voting. Each month will have a theme. Some months will have the same theme each year (i.e. mysteries in October and African-American authors in February), while other months will change. I'll announce the theme for the month on the 15th of the month prior. I'll also provide a few choices that fit theme and let you, the readers, vote. A vote isn't an obligation that you'll join in (although I'd love it if you did!)

The theme for July 2013 is Sarah Waters!
I read Tipping the Velvet, her first novel, shortly after it came out. I vividly recall being so enraptured on the couch of my college apartment that I read the last three hundred pages in one sitting. I loved it, but for some reason, I haven't read any Waters since then. All but one of her books qualify as backlist (published 1980-five years ago), so here are the choices (book covers take you to Amazon where you can learn more):

  • Tipping the Velvet (1999)
  • Affinity (2000)
  • Fingersmith (2002)
  • The Night Watch (2006)



The winning title will be announced on Monday, July 1st!


As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. I think I might like to participate this year...hope hope I can squeeze it in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! This could be just what I need to make me finish Affinity. I loved The Little Stranger, and I love what I've read of Affinity, but I had to lay it aside and haven't gotten back to it.

    Glad the Backlist Book Club rises again! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson