the sunday salon: Oscar Sunday


First, as promised, here is a wedding photo. We got married one month ago today in a museum library, and I could not resist a card catalog photo with champagne in hand.  

 

In other news, the Oscars are finally here! I've reviewed most of the films here over the last few months, but today I'll share my picks (if I were voting) and my predictions, which are rarely the same. The pre-Oscar awards have been rather predictable, and there are clear front runners in almost every category. I'm looking forward to the ceremony itself, as Adam Shankman is producing the show. Also, Steven Martin and Alec Baldwin are co-hosting, so I'm sure it will be funny, even if my favorites won't win. 

Best Picture
My pick: An Education
My prediction: The Hurt Locker (surprisingly, I think this category is most up for grabs. The voting system is completely different this year, and if supporters of the two front runners--The Hurt Locker and Avatar-- voted strategically and placed the other tenth on their ballots, Inglourious Basterds or Up in the Air could have a surprise win.)

Best Director
My pick: Jason Reitman, Up in the Air
My prediction: Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker

Best Actor
My pick: Colin Firth, A Single Man
My prediction: Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart

Best Actress
My pick: Carey Mulligan, An Education
My prediction: Meryl Streep, Julie & Julia

Best Supporting Actor
My pick: Woody Harrelson, The Messenger
My prediction: Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds

Best Supporting Actress
My pick: Maggie Gyllenhaal, Crazy Heart
My prediction: Mo'Nique, Preciuos

Best Original Screenplay
My pick: The Messenger
My prediction: Inglourious Basterds

Best Adapted Screenplay
My pick: An Education
My prediction: Up in the Air

Best Animated Feature
My pick: The Fantastic Mr. Fox
My prediction: Up

Best Foreign Language Film
My pick:(I haven't seen any of them yet)
My prediction: The White Ribbon          

Best Original Score
My pick: (A Single Man, which wasn't even nominated)
My prediction: Up    

Best Original Song
My pick: "The Weary Kind," Crazy Heart
My prediction: "The Weary Kind," Crazy Heart

Best Art Direction
My pick: Nine
My prediction: Avatar

Best Cinematography
My pick: The White Ribbon
My prediction: Avatar

Best Costume Design
My pick: Coco Before Chanel
My prediction: Young Victoria   

Best Makeup
My pick: Young Victoria
My prediction: Star Trek

Best Film Editing
My pick: Precious
My prediction: Avatar

Best Documentary Feature
My pick: Food, Inc.    
My prediction: The Cove

Best Documentary Short Subject
My pick: (I haven't seen any of them yet)
My prediction: China's Unnatural Disaster: the Tears of Sichuan Province

Best Animated Short Film
My pick: Logorama
My prediction: A Matter of Loaf and Death

Best Live Action Short Film
My pick: The New Tenants
My prediction: Miracle Fish

Best Sound Editing
My pick: Avatar
My prediction: Avatar

Best Sound Mixing
My pick: Avatar
My prediction: Avatar

Best Visual Effects
My pick: Avatar
My prediction: Avatar             

Overall
Picks correct:
Predictions correct: 

Sadly, I won't be live tweeting the Oscars because I'll be at work for the first half of the awards, but I will have a recap of my reactions tomorrow. Happy Oscars!

Comments

  1. Not watching the Oscars tonight, so I'm looking forward to your updated picks and predictions!

    And that's a kickass wedding pic. Your dress is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture! You two look so happy! Happy 1 month anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture too - who knew there are still card catalogs around. It looks like you did pretty good with your predictions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you got married in a museum library, that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson