Waiting on Wednesday: Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier


Waiting on Wednesday is a new feature at nomadreader. Jill at Breaking the Spine hosts this weekly event encouraging book bloggers take Wednesdays to feature an upcoming book they're excited about.

Title: Remarkable Creatures
Author: Tracy Chevalier
What else has she written: Girl with a Pearl Earring (the basis for the film of the same name with Colin Firth and Scarlett Johansson), Falling Angels, Burning Bright, The Lady and the Unicorn, and The Virgin Blue.
Pages: 320
Publication date: January 5, 2010

I am a huge fan of Tracy Chevalier. I first read Girl with a Pearl Earring because I love art history and novels about art history. Falling Angels is my favorite Chevalier book. It's a fictionalization of Emmaline Pankhurst and the British women's suffrage movement. I also loved The Lady and the Unicorn, another take on a famous work of art. I had the privilege to see the panels in Paris, and they truly came to life in new ways because of Chevalier's novel.

Remarkable Creatures is a fictionalized story of Mary Anning and Elizabeth Philpot who were fossil collectors in the 19th Century. I know very little about them, and I'll wait until I read this novel to do more research into what is true and what comes from Chevalier's fascinating imagination.

The book was released in the UK earlier this year, and I've already read several great reviews. I can only hope one day soon Tracy Chevalier reaches the necessary status for simultaneous publication in the U.S. and the UK.

Comments

  1. I too am a huge fan of Chevalier! This looks like a great one. Thanks for getting me excited too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson