The 50 Book Challenge: the year so far

I'm taking part in the 2007 50 Book Challenge. The premise is simple: read fifty books this year. I've always sort of aspired to this challenge in some form, although the number of books changes. I loved reading Sara Nelson's So Many Books, So Little Time: A Year of Passionate Reading several years ago, and I'm trying to be more proactive about keeping up with the books I read. I gave up buying books years ago, as a means of saving money and because I can't seem to stop moving. Without the ability to look up at my shelves to remember what I've read, I've started keeping spreadsheets of the books I read each year.

I'm not off to the best start, but I hope to finish strong. Here's my reading list so far:
0 stars - hated it
1 star - eh
2 stars - liked it
3 stars - loved it
4 stars - life-changing

1. Giotto's Hand by Iain Pears (3 stars - loved it!)
I loved this installment of the art history mysteries. It's art, travel and intrigue. Reading it in Italy was fun too.

2. Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen (2 stars - liked it)
I had never read any Quindlen before this book, and I enjoyed it. I think the novel started quite strong, but it started to fizzle for me. It is worth reading.

3. The Abortionist's Daughter by Elisabeth Hyde (3 stars - loved it!)
Stunningly beautfiful prose, strong characters and a little bit of mystery.

4. The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig (0 stars - hated it!)
Don't bother.

5. Freakonomics by Steven Levitt (3 stars - loved it!)

6. Julie and Julia by Julie Powell (3 stars - loved it!)

7. Death Dance by Linda Fairstein (3 stars - loved it!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson