Sunday Salon: Hello from Kansas!

The Sunday Salon.comIt's another Sunday, and I'm in another city I still call home. The great second trimester travel tour is cruising along, and visiting places I used to love has me marveling at what paths our baby's life will take.

Traveling
I drove down to Lawrence yesterday afternoon to go to the Kansas-Texas basketball game. It was my first game at Allen Fieldhouse in ten years, and it was a great one! Our seats were incredible. My father and I sat nine rows back from the court, behind the Texas bench, and next to all of the Kansas players' families. It's always a special time at Allen Fieldhouse, but last night was extra special, and I'm so glad I could share it with my father. Baby D-L's in utero experience was definitely unlike anything s/he has experienced so far.

As much as I love Lawrence, I'm glad this trip is such a short one because I only got back from Atlanta a few days ago and leave for Orlando Tuesday. In this whirlwind of traveling, I miss Mr. Nomadreader so much, and I'm glad to be heading home to him this afternoon (after a sure-to-be-delicious brunch with my parents at Rye in Kansas City, of course!) And I'll also stop by Wheatfields before I leave Lawrence and hope I'm early enough to get a cheese danish, as they make the world's best cheese danish (I'm happy to sample other claims of world's best cheese danish if there's dissension.) I wish his work schedule allowed him to join me for all (or any!) of my travels this month. Next month we're looking forward to a week-long trip to yet another place we call home, upstate New York.

Reading
I have an embarrassingly bad track record of reading my book club books. I suggested The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell, and my book club picked it as one of our March reads (we meet every other month and read two books), so I knew I had to read it. I've also been meaning to read it since it came out, so it's good motivation. I started it Friday (a full month before book club!), and I'm enjoying it so far. I hope to finish it before my next trip Tuesday.

On the drive to Lawrence yesterday, I started listening to The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I'm also enjoying it and realize it's been too long since I've listened to an audiobook (although I have been reading print and ebooks more, so I suppose it's a wash!)

Watching
I still adore Chicago Fire (my first thoughts), and last week I binge-watched the first five episodes of its spinoff, Chicago P.D., which I also really enjoyed. I'm so glad Sophia Bush is working in television again, and like Fire, the P.D. cast is a wonderful ensemble. The show isn't perfect, but it's finding its footing and is quite good.

I also (finally!) started watching Veronica Mars this weekend. Two episodes in, and I like it. I'm curious to see at what pace the mysteries unfold and how new mysteries are introduced in future seasons.

Blogging
There will be actual reviews posting this week too! I've been treating myself to reading summer releases from some of my favorite authors, so those won't post until around the release dates, but I have some current new releases and backlist reviews coming this week, as well as some film reviews.

Now tell me: what are you reading, watching, or doing this weekend?

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. I am listening to the Hunger Games Trilogy. Our granddaughter is intriged with Katniss so I decided to check what it is all about. You were young, but your parents might remember me from Tecumseh. Tell them hello.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the picture of your seats on Instagram - what a treat to be so close!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are doing some whirlwind traveling! Looking forward to your thoughts on The Other Typist when you're done. It's a great book club pick because it has a way of begging for discussion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been watching Chicago PD too, although I haven't ever seen Chicago Fire. I wanted to see what Sophia Bush was doing too.

    I love Veronica Mars. How fun to be watching it for the first time! Do you think you will see the movie in a few weeks?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like your travels are going great! I've never been to Rye - I'll have to check it out the next time we're in KC.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson