Sunday Salon: December!

The Sunday Salon.com
Travels...
Happy Sunday! I've just returned from a wonderfully relaxing and fun weekend vacation with three of my college roommates in Omaha. For the first time in a long time, we left our husbands (and one baby) at home and enjoyed the pricetag of sharing one hotel room. As always, the weekend flew by, but we had fun exploring Omaha, eating, drinking, seeing a play at the Blue Barn Theater, and playing board games. I opted to take the Megabus from Des Moines to Omaha (only $14 roundtrip!) and welcomed the opportunity to read instead of drive. I managed to read two books this weekend, These Days Are Ours by Michelle Haimoff and Glaciers by Alexis M. Smith. Both are debut novels I pre-ordered on my Kindle at the beginning of the year and have neglected for months. I was determined to read them both before the end of 2012. I enjoyed both immensely, and it helped remind me I should once again shift my focus to the titles I'm most excited about rather than the prize lists.

Reading plans...
This afternoon I hope to (finally) finish Junot Diaz's This Is How You Lose Her. Then I'm planning to indulge in Never Tell, the last Alafair Burke mystery to read (until If You Are Here comes out in June) before turning my attention to the December Backlist Book Club pick: The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel

The Christmas spirit!
Mr. Nomadreader and I have our apartment decorated for the holiday with three (yes, three!) trees and one festive wreath. The decorations bring a smile to my face each time I see them.


Winners!
Before I leave you to read, however, I have winners to announce! Earlier this week I hosted a fabulous contest for an Anna Karenina prize pack. I randomly (with the help of random.org) picked two winners. Congratulations to Heather from The Token American and Melissa from Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf!

Posts to anticipate this week:
  • a review of 212 by Alafair Burke
  • reviews of the films Beasts of the Southern Wild and Midnight in Paris
  • a review of Seen It All and Done the Rest by Pearl Cleage
  • my thoughts on Nashville
  • a review of These Days Are Ours by Michelle Haimoff
  • a review of This Is How You Loser Her by Junot Diaz
Now tell me: what are you reading this December (!) Sunday?

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. Sounds like you had a great weekend with friends. I love to take the train or bus instead of drive whenever possible. Your holiday decorations look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, me too! I'm glad Des Moines is getting more and more bus options. I got spoiled living in the northeast.

      Delete
  2. I love the trees, wreath, and your door! :-) I'm looking forward to your posts especially your thoughts on Beasts of the Southern Wild.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the prize! I'm really excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I was so excited to see your name come up:-)

      Delete
  4. I was away as well, for most of the week, but not for such a fun filled weekend. We lost my step-dad after a long battle with cancer, and I had to fly away to be with my mom. I am well, but if you are the well-wishing type, send some good thoughts into the ether for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zibilee, I'm so sorry for your loss. I will keep you and your mom in my thoughts and hope you may find peace at this difficult time.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson