Sunday Salon: Putting the nomad back in nomadreader

Things picked up a bit this week, but it's been mighty quiet around here lately, hasn't it? I've been traveling, job-interviewing, and (honestly) watching a lot of tv. Stress (and pending underemployment) left me without much of an attention span to read. Even Sweet Valley Confidential. Lately, I seem to only be able to finish 5-star books that almost force me to not put them down. But friends, things are looking up. I already spilled the beans on Twitter, but I got a job. A full-time, tenure-track, kick-ass librarian job at a fantastic university.

Yes, that means Mr. Nomadreader and I are moving again. (And yes, we did just move across town six weeks ago.) They don't call us nomads for no reason, after all. Just as soon as I (almost) finished unpacking, it's time to start again. By the end of May, we'll be back in Des Moines:

This may not *quite* be the view from our apartment,
but the rooftop patio is pretty amazing.
Ah, Des Moines. It's one of my favorite cities. It's vibrant, young, fun and has an amazing food scene. With the joy of returning to a city we love comes the sadness of leaving another city we love, Albany. The next two weeks will be full of packing, goodbyes, tears, and reliving fond memories of the last three years. I hope I'll be able to finish the Orange Prize shortlist before the winner is announced June 8 too.

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. Congrats on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the job and the move back to a city you love :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I moved a lot, but twice in two months makes me feel a bit queasy. Good luck with the move and the job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your new job! It sounds fantastic - and good luck with the move as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new job sounds wonderful! It's always nice to get a job you really really want. Congrats and good luck with moving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the job!! I know how stressing it can be, so I'm glad you landed one and a fabulous one at that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SUPER congratulations to you!!!!! So happy you got the job, and maybe this will be the last move for a wee little bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! Congratulations on the new job! I hope that it is just what you have been looking for and that moving is smooth and as unstressful as possible!

    I also wanted to tell you that I watched The King's Speech last night with my husband. You were right on the money, it was just a fantastic movie, and Colin Firth did an amazing job in his role. It's hard to believe that he actually faked that speech impediment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Congratulations. You'll love the academic environment I'm sure...I do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats, congrats -- sounds so exciting -- I'm jealous! I've heard wonderful things about Des Moines -- good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on getting what sounds like a great new job and good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - absolutely fabulous news about the job, especially as tenure-track, full-time work isn't the easiest to come by at the moment.

    I hope you really enjoy your new post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on the job! It sounds like you are going to be very busy in the next few weeks. I'm your interviewer for BEA. I sent you an email, but thought I'd leave a comment too (all while trying very hard not to look like a stalker). Are you still going to have time for the interview? No worries either way, just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations!! That's so very exciting - and what good fortune to have found a job that you will enjoy and in which you will grow. Wonderful news.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the job! You're going to have to write a post on moving one of these days (your top tips) -- I bet you've got a system down pat!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson