movie review: Nine




Nine is not a film for everyone. It's a film based on the stage play, which was based on Fellini's classic film 8 1/2. Musical films are rather hit or miss in general, and this one seems to be especially polarizing despite its all-star cast.

Here's a breakdown of its stars:
  • Daniel Day-Lewis plays an Italian movie director about to start shooting his latest film that has only a title, a crew and no script. He finds inspiration from the women in his life from imagined musical numbers of them singing.
  • Fergie plays a prostitute from his youth.
  • Nicole Kidman is the star of his film.
  • Marion Cotillard is his wife, whom he met on a film.
  • Sophia Loren is his mother.
  • Dudi Dench is the costume designer.
  • Kate Hudson is a writer for Vogue.
  • Penelope Cruz is his mistress.
Each woman gets her own musical solo, and Marion Cotillard gets two. For more than half of this film, I was ambivalent. I enjoyed it, but it didn't capture my attention; it lacked a little magic. I was surprised how underwhelmed I was with Daniel Day-Lewis's performance. I found his scenes with Penelope Cruz, his mistress, to be the weakest. The other women had more firepower and charisma. Once Marion Cotillard appeared, however, I was absolutely transfixed. She made this movie. Her performance, both acting and singing was transcendent. I hope she gets nominated for an Oscar, but if not, I will finally make a point to see La Vie en Rose, when she played Edith Piaf and won an Oscar.

For me, this film came together more and more as it went on. By the last half hour, I loved the film, but I know it's not a film all moviegoers will enjoy. If you like music, see it. If you want to be absolutely wowed by a performance, rent it on dvd and watch Marion Cotillard's scenes. As a whole, the film is lovely, even if it feels uneven at times.It's not for everyone, but it is a film I adored.

Rating: 4.5 stars
Running time: 118 minutes
Release date: It came out on Christmas, and it's still in theaters. Here's a map showing where it's playing.


As an Amazon Associate, I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase through the above links. Thank you!


Comments

  1. Wow, must be a great movie, since it a lot of award nominations and wins for the past two months or so. Next up is the Oscar. Sounds like a great hit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson