graphic novel review: Stitches by David Small


Stitches is a memoir in graphic novel form. It traces David Small's life through childhood. I've read several reviews of this book, but the one I remember most was Citizen reader's review entitles "Sadness, illustrated." It's a beautifully haunting and sad tale, and despite the often grim story, it was a fast read. There were a few moments I laughed out loud. I enjoyed it, and perhaps my favorite part was the author's note at the end, where David Small used prose to flesh out a few memories, thoughts and ideas. Part of the beauty of a graphic novel is the emotion and story told through pictures, and in this case, I find it difficult to express the emotion and depth of Small's graphic novel with only words. My advice: read it for yourself.

Rating: 4 stars (out of 5)
Pages: 335
Publication date: September 8, 2009
Source: my local public library


Buy Stitches: A Memoir from Amazon.com. (As an Amazon Associate, I will earn a small commission if you buy through this link. Thank you!)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson